how is product placement different from a commercial
How is product placement different from a commercial?Product Placement is when a brand is seamlessly integrated into the plot and story, of a video production. The major types of product placement are either verbal, visual, signage, or usage.
Product placements in music videos range from 3-5 minutes whereas product placement in movies can range in 12 minutes-1.5 hours or more in length.
A commercial is specifically geared specifically toward interrupted television with a 5-30 sec ad placed in between TV shows. The prices of each of these can vary which depend upon the reach, demographics of target markets, viewership, time of day, and more variables. While over 70 million Americans have ad-blockers, the consumer shift in media behavior has turned towards Ad-Free such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. This is where product placement lives and breathes.
Product placements are integrated naturally into the setting. If an actress is taking a drink, why wouldn’t it be your famous tea? If someone is eating in a movie, it is natural to see a brands logo and packaging while they divulge. Product placements in movies and music videos are valuable because people naturally will re-watch a good story or listen to a great new song, share, and like it.
How is product placement different from a commercial
Yang et al. (2004, pp.98-99) considered the benefits of brand placement. Here is what they found:
Brand placement provides a continuity for the advertisement
Being associated with celebrities, brand placement can be perceived as being endorsed by them.
Brand placement is a convenient advertising strategy to target specific audiences
Lifespan of brand placements are considerably longer compared to other mediums of advertisement.
Brand placements provide opportunity of manipulating with commercial speech due to a big amount of ambiguity in them
Generally audience’s attitudes towards brand placements are positive.
Brand placements enjoy less critical responses from audiences compared to other advertisement means.
BENEFITS OF PRODUCT PLACEMENT
- PRODUCT PLACEMENT COSTS ARE CHEAPER
- PRODUCT PLACEMENT WITH MSPUB PROVIDES GLOBAL BRAND EXPOSURE
- PRODUCT PLACEMENT WITH MSPUB GUARANTEES 5 MILLION IMPRESSIONS
- PRODUCT PLACEMENT WITH MSPUB OFFERS EASY MONTHLY INSTALLMENTS
- PRODUCT PLACEMENT ON YOUTUBE HAS INCREASED
- PRODUCT PLACEMENT IS SUBTLE, AND INTEGRATED NATURALLY INTO WHAT VIEWERS ARE ALREADY WATCHING
- IN 2015 TIME SPENT WATCHING YOUTUBE INCREASED BY 74%
- COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING COSTS FOR NATIONAL 30 SEC AD SPOT $123K
- NO GUARANTEE OF VIEWERSHIP
- 70 MILLION AMERICANS HAVE AD-BLOCKERS SO REACHING YOUR TARGET DEMOGRAPHICS ARE EVEN HARDER
- TV NETWORKS LIKE FOX AND NBC HAVE ANNOUNCED REDUCTION IN TV ADS TO 2 MIN PER 1 HOUR
- COMMERCIALS INTERRUPT TV VIEWING AND CAN FEEL AGGRESSIVE AND FORCED
- IN 2015 AUDIENCES BETWEEN 18-49 SPENT 4% LESS TIME WATCHING TV
- COMMERCIALS CAN BE IGNORED AND SKIPPED